Monday, September 30, 2013

Kudiya ni tere brown range ne…



Thanks to yo yo Honey Singh for loving brown girl…

Have you ever questioned where skin colour bias originated from? But honestly speaking, there is no simple answer. Skin colour bias is so much a part of our culture that if we tracked it down to see the real enemies it would possibly point to all of us, our families, our extended families, our society, our ancestors etc. We are all guilty of either propagating or tolerating this age-old bias.

When I heard about the Dark is Beautiful campaign, I could relate to it so much, and I think this is an important issue to address in schools, corporates and in social circles. Parents and school teachers plays extremely vital role in creating equality and evolving children’s confidence.  Children need to hear and experience that it doesn't matter whether you are tall or short, dark or fair. Nothing or no one can put limits on what we can achieve. Focus on what you’re good at and don’t let discrimination bring you down. I feel teaching to kids is extremely easy than teaching to an adults. Need to learn that God created all people equal. 

It would be a very boring world if everyone had the same skin colour. Varying skin tones showcase the beauty of God's creation. Since longest time I have seen people coming up to me and saying, “You have nice features but poor thing you are dark.” This kind of stereo type I want to fight. I took it as challenge and overcome it. I have also observed and experienced how it is impacting young girls now days even boys. It is impacting confidence, self-esteem purely because they are not fair. I have heard people stopping me to ware different colours because I am dark. Every second advt is saying if you are not fair then you are not good enough. This association with fair is the troubling part. I think it is the time to stop stereo typical notion of beauty and feel good and confident and worthy of the person we are. Be fair with unfair because unfair is beautiful.


3 comments:

  1. it's all abt the pigment melanin which on sun burn darken the skin and passes on to the next generation.........by the way lord Krishna was dark (his name resembles his color) who was tall, dark and handsome.......but the marketers made all historical heros "fair" and sold their cosmetic products made money...........by the way I like shining dark color :) .........

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..nice blog aparna...would say that the education system needs to be in the way to enhance what a short person can do or what a dark person can to come out of the negativity sounds from the word! grt work indeed!

    ReplyDelete